Sunday, November 11, 2012

Answers

I think many of the heaviest questions that we ask ourselves, such as "who am I," "why am I here," "what is my purpose," "how can I overcome my problems," "why do I lose control of myself," etc., are sometimes unanswerable.  There may be moments/minutes/weeks/years where you know that you have a purpose in life, you know with some certainty who you are, or you recognize that certain triggers cause you to behave in certain ways...and yet I bet that these realizations are also temporary.  Your purpose in life today may not be what it was yesterday.  You may lose control when someone says something dumb, and maybe you can overcome that, but there is no way that anyone will ever be a "perfect" human being.

Sometimes we may just have to recognize that a question is unanswerable, and let yourself get carried away by the current of acceptance.  You could fight death with exercise, your lifestyle, avoiding dangerous activities...but there is no way to perfect your strategy.  You may get hit by a meteor or a lightning bolt.  You may be attacked by an invading army.  A piano may fall on your head.  A cosmic event may destroy the entire planet.

This is not to say that it's not good to try.  We should always try to understand, try to be better, try to be perfect.  But perhaps there is a way to aim for perfection without investing your sense of self worth in attaining the impossible.

No comments:

Post a Comment